Sunday, August 7, 2011

Meet peace out

I'm starting a series of posts about some of my friends who are also geocachers.  It's neat how you build a community of people who all have the same interest.  You might get to know a person by their geocaching handle, their hides, or even their real name.  I've come to know these people through events, meet-ups, or just chatting on-line.  Now you'll get a chance to know them better, too.

First up is the team peace out.  Mrs. peace out helped me get my start in geocaching.  She introduced me to Travel Bugs by showing me her big collection of coins.  World, meet the team peace out.

Statistics
How long you’ve been caching: Since July 4, 2008
Location: Lincoln, Maine
Number of caches found: 3,513
Number of caches hidden: 37

Q: Have you ever looked for a cache after dark?  Describe your experience.
A: GC1Y3F4 "Stumble in the Dark" and that's just what we were doing! We did this one with other family members on the way to a family vacation. It was one of the first night caches that we have done. We didn't know anything about the glow-in-the dark tacks that we were supposed to be looking for. I think there were six of us stumbling through the woods with flashlights looking for this one!

Q: What's the best part of geocaching? 
A: Getting outside, getting exercise, getting fresh air, exploring new territories, finding an activity that you can do with your spouse and children, getting away from the TV. We have discovered places that we have never thought we could find. Geocachers hide their caches in the most awesome spots. Taking pictures of spectacular spots. Planning vacations around caching. 

Q: Are there any drawbacks?
A: Spending money on gas to get to the caches. Wanting better equipment. Your friends have to listen to you talk about caching all the time.

Q: Do you ever worry about anything when you are alone looking for a cache? (i.e. other people, getting hurt, animals)
A: Yes, all of the above.  I've only gone out a couple of times solo and once was on a hike into the woods. It was too quiet for me. All I could think about was what animal was going to come out of the woods in front of me. Just the other day I went for a FTF at a parking spot. I was in the woods alone and heard car doors slam and I wigged. I came out of the woods as fast as I could and got into my car and stayed there until the two men left. It was scary!

Q: What is the best way to get kids involved?
A: Make it fun! Get them involved with the planning of where you will go caching. Start slow. Let them know that there will be a treasure at the end of their search. Let them hide one of their own and keep track of who comes to it. Let them have their own travel bug and keep track of it. 

Q: What’s your favorite grab so far?  Why?
A: GC1ZAE4 "Onawa Bluff" Mr. peace out found this one as a FTF. Then he came home and told me about how awesome it was and had to take me back there and show me how beautiful it was. He also had to take his geocoin there to get it started. We took a picnic lunch to the top and enjoyed the view. It is quite spectacular! 

Q: What has been your most difficult or challenging find?  Describe your experience.
A: GCWYJ6 "Mt. Blue View" Mr. peace out did this one solo. He said this one was quite the hike. He says it is a very steep climb all the way up. It took him quite a long time to reach the top. Also, GC1HHV1 "Mattamiscontis Mt." Mr. peace out says this one was difficult because there was no trail. He had to bushwhack all the way! 

Q: Do you have a least favorite cache?  Why is it your least favorite?
A: One time at a cache site I told Mr. peace out that I would not touch that container! It was covered with this gross furry stuff inside a guardrail. I don't know what it was.

Q: What is the most interesting thing you’ve found or taken from a cache?
A: We like all the coins and travel bugs, but once I remember finding this unique Native American key chain. It was very detailed. I think I still have it because it was so cool.

Q: What is the strangest or most unique place you’ve ever found a cache? 
A: GCYWC6 "Town of Davidson" We still talk about this abandoned town. There is so much history still here at this abandoned site. We even found a bank safe! We still can't believe there was a town way back here in the woods. We were so interested in this place that I went to the library and looked it up and got a copy of a book about the town and copied it. 

Q: Have you ever arrived at a cache and discovered someone was looking for it as well? 
A: Several times. We've been at a cache and had someone come upon us, also. It is always fun to meet other cachers.

Q: Do you know of any altercations between cachers looking for the same cache at once? 
A: There have been times when certain family members become frustrated with each other, but I've never seen anybody do any bodily harm.

Q: Have you ever been approached by the police or other muggles when looking for a cache, particularly after dark?
A: The police have approached us to ask us if we were okay.  muggle lady came over and asked us if we were doing a bridge inspection.

A big thank-you to peace out for doing this.  I know they were getting ready to head out on a trip, geocaching, of course.  If you're ever in the Lincoln area, check out some of their caches.  They're usually located in interesting spots and have some nice swag in them. 

Peace out!

3 comments:

  1. very interesting.... a sport that is getting more popular by the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post idea and NOW I want to go to Maine. I just added 3 cool sounding caches to my "out of state to-do" list.

    ReplyDelete