Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Meet drwhogrl

Although I met drwhogrl through Twitter, we have been out geocaching a couple of times together and she has given me hints on a few difficult finds.  She has over 600 finds and a nice little hide in the Bangor City Forest.  I believe she even had a cache dedicated to her by another geocacher.  She has graciously accompanied me to caches that she's already found just to give me some company.  I'm glad that geocaching gave us a common interest because now it's grown into a friendship. 


Statistics
How long you’ve been caching: 2009-present
Location: Bangor, ME
Number of caches found: 644
Number of caches hidden: 1

Q: Have you ever looked for a cache after dark? Describe your experience.
A: Normally I tend to look for geocaches during the day because it’s a lot harder at night. My friend and I searched for a few in the woods and continued to look after the sun went down and it was a lot harder than we anticipated. I have done a few caches designed to be done at night that were a lot of fun. The one I would recommend in the greater Bangor area is GCYY49 Telltale Heart geocache. Armed with flashlights we followed the fire tacks and I will admit it was spooky walking through the woods in the fall searching for that one. There are a few surprises as you look for it. ;)


Q: What’s the best part of geocaching? Are there any drawbacks?
A: I think the best part of geocaching is when you get to the coordinates and you look around and spy the cache out of the corner of your eye. I love clever hides and actually being able to find them. Also opening the geocache and finding something cool is another great part of geocaching. The drawbacks for me would be caches placed in unsafe locations or placed with no special reason.


Q: Do you ever worry about anything when you are alone looking for a cache? (i.e. other people, getting hurt, animals)
A: I have been out looking for a geocache before and realize that it was probably not a good idea for me to go out looking alone. A few times I have been creeped out by people and abandoned the search. I try to make sure I have my cell phone charged and on me in case of emergencies because I am clumsy. I also make a point of telling someone where I am going.

Q: What is the best way/strategy to get kids involved?
A: Kids seem to enjoy caching a lot when you describe it as a treasure hunt. It does help to read the description of the cache to know what you are going for and make sure it is one that the kids will enjoy. I think kids enjoy the ammo cans a lot more than the micro caches because there is stuff to trade.

Q: What’s your favorite grab so far? Why?
A: I think my favorite grab so far was doing the GC1JJ38 Maine’s Alphanumeric Cache Challenge. I traveled all over the state locating 36 caches beginning with the letters A-Z and the digits 0-9. I thought it was a unique challenge and fun to search the state to complete the challenge.

Q: What has been your most difficult or challenging find? Describe your experience.
A: Puzzle caches tend to be the most challenging for me. I would say the most difficult was GCJ938 Dyslexic Nightmare that is the Bangor City Forest. I looked all over the forest and was incredibly frustrated until amazingly I stumbled upon the cache. I explored the whole forest searching for it at all the possible coordinates, going into marshy areas and in overgrown areas. It hadn’t been found in a long time and it was a rewarding experience to be the one to find it.

Q: Do you have a least favorite cache? Why is it your least favorite?
A: I am not a fan of guardrails. What irks me about those type of caches is that it’s a easy hide and find. I want a challenge.

Q: What is the most interesting thing you’ve found or taken from a cache?
A: Its silly but I was very surprised to find a wad of cash in a cache that was near a cemetery off a dirt road (GC1DZ8N Maine Spirit Quest #34 –Moulton Cemetery). I think the cacher must have wanted to trade something badly and all they had was cash.

Q: What is the strangest or most unique place you’ve ever found a cache? Describe it.
A: I think one of the unique ones for me that stands out is the multi cache GCPPGX Island Hoppers on Pushaw Lake. I made two attempts for this one in the winter when the lake was frozen with my friend Masterson of the Universe. It was really cool to walk out on the ice and locate the stages but on our first trip we couldn’t locate the final cache. You can do the multi in the summertime with a kayak but we decided it would be better to do it in the winter. It was freezing cold out, maybe 10 degrees and a long walk, but it was beautiful being out on the lake. The second attempt required some digging in the snow but we finally located that final cache. It was unique for me because I don’t think I would have normally had a reason to be out on the lake in the middle of winter. I think that’s one of the best things about geocaching is that it takes you to places you normally wouldn’t go.

Q: Have you ever arrived at a cache and discovered someone was looking for it as well? 
A: I was involved in a mini race between five cachers to be the first to find. It was amusing to see the cars pull up and we all knew why the other person was there.

Q: Do you know of any altercations between cachers looking for the same cache at once?
A: No, I don’t think I’ve ever heard of any altercations between cachers looking for the same cache. I think most cachers are understanding and often times will wait for the person to rehide it so the second person can look for it.

Q: Have you ever been approached by the police or other muggles when looking for a cache, particularly after dark?
A: I have had people ask what I was doing, but thankfully never the police. I think geocaching has become more popular so most people are aware of what it is.

Not only does drwhogrl have some great geocaching stories, but she also has some other great adventures that you can check out on her blog: http://www.wendylovesgreen.blogspot.com/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment