Friday, May 6, 2011

Micro-Managing

Micro sized geocaches, although interesting and cleverly hidden, can be a cacher's worst nightmare.  Being so small gives them the ability to be hidden inside, under, or on any sized object.  A creative hider can turn these into tricky searches that can last for hours.  I revisited two this evening that I had previously been unable to find.

 After discovering that the mini golf place we planned on going to was closed, my friends and I decided that geocaching would be a good substitute since it's outdoors and gets you moving.  Our first stop was to a geocache called Directory Assistance and was one that I had attempted to find twice before.  Believe it or not, the container is large and in plain sight.   It only took three stops and five sets of eyes to locate it. 


Our next stop was to a guard rail on the way to Hampden.   The heavy traffic gave an added sense of pressure to find this cache quickly.  Normally, a guard rail cache is located in the same place each time.  But not this nasty little bugger.  Again, the five of us spread out along the rail and began searching high and low for the little container.  Who knows what the passing drivers were thinking, but our minds were only concerned with one thing.  This micro was located quicker than Directory Assistance.  The trick was to turn a wooden plank upside down.  On the underside was a small hollow with a metal container inside.  Quite devious but much more interesting than the typical guard rail cache.  A big thanks to allagash, the creator of this thoughtful hide.

The last micro of the night was located at an old armory in Bangor.  The armory was home to B-52s, B-47s, and their weapons.  There is a mysterious feel about the place as you approach.  On the exterior walls are smashed electrical boxes and giant rusted doors.  The roof is covered with grass, which was intentionally done as an effort to camouflage the building.  It was hard to concentrate on finding the cache as there is a definite urge to explore this old military site.  Admittedly, I have never been very interested in history but I do enjoy learning about the past life of any geocaching location.  Thanks to Fins2right for the brief but interesting lesson tonight. 

I love bringing my muggle friends along to help me with any micro that I've logged as a did not find.  Seeing them jump and scream with excitement makes me as happy as if I would have found it myself.  Sounds like it might be the teacher in my showing a little bit. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a fan of micros. I remember needing help with the one you took a picture of above. :) very clever.

    ReplyDelete