Friday, June 3, 2011

Coastal Caching

On Memorial Day, I invited my sister to go geocaching with me.  She lives in the Downeast area so we decided to meet in Ellsworth and head to Bar Harbor.  I waited in the T.J. Maxx parking lot for what seemed like hours due to lots of traffic and construction on my sister's route to Ellsworth.  Once she got there, she jumped in my car and we took off for the ocean. 

We went to the Trenton boat launch, a remote cemetery on Mt. Desert, and even a church.  We decided that our favorite cache of the day was called "Snipe Hunt."  The snipe birds, the description says, are birds that liked to hide and had to be flushed out by hitting trees and making lots of noise.  The cacher who hid this has started a series based on these snipe birds.  He also has other very thoughtful caches, including Earth caches, that are well worth a look.  Snipe Hunt was out favorite because of the thought and creativity put into it.  See if you can find the cache in the picture on the top. 


GEOrge and his nest
I had an Anakin Skywalker Travel Bug to drop off today and I figured this would be a perfect spot.  GEOrge here will be able to watch over Anakin as he tries to reach his goal of finding his lost soul.  Maybe you can help him?

As a teenager, I worked a summer in Bar Harbor cleaning hotel rooms.  Every day we drove by a small parking area for a beach.  We never did stop in there that summer but on this particular day, we actually had a reason to finally stop in!  We found a geocache that is part of the 52 Pick-Up Series.  While we were here, we dipped our toes in the ocean and collected a few shells to bring home.  The cold water and salty smell of the ocean was very refreshing on such a hot day. 


After this stop in Hulls Cove, we stopped into the College of the Atlantic in Bar Harbor for a geocache and a couple of other interesting sights; one of them being an enormous whale skull.  The skull belonged to a whale who died from a collision with a ship in 1983.  The whale was sixty feet long and weighed 40 tons!  I guess these numbers aren't that hard to believe when the skull itself dwarfs a person.  I think I remember reading somewhere that a person could swim through the arteries of a whale and that their hearts are the size of a car. 


At this point in the day, we were sweaty and hungry.  We were able to remedy one of those problems with a quick stop at Hannaford.  Armed with sandwiches and some cold drinks, we went to battle traffic for a parking spot down near the water.  We snagged the first one we saw and hunkered down to eat our simple lunch under the shade of one of the few trees in the area.  From our seats on our Spongebob blanket, we did some people watching and took our shoes off to let our feet do some airing out.  Once we were rested and full, we walked only a couple hundred feet away to find our last geocache together for the day.  It ended up being a tricky one. 

After a quick once over, we left the area of the cache because we didn't want muggles, or non-geocahers, to become suspicious.  We took some pictures while we waited, and in the mean time, a family went over to where we were looking.  Casually, we strolled back over and asked them if they happened to be geocaching.  They said no but were curious about what it was and were eager to help us look.  It was a neat experience as we made the find and showed them how to log your name and how you could see how many other folks had been to the cache and when they had been there.   The family asked if there might be any caches in there home area of Bucksport.  I told them that I had actually been there recently and had found several in town.  Perhaps there'll be some new geocachers because of our interaction!


My sister, Holly, is a big supporter of my geocaching hobby (or more likely habit).  She always seems eager to accompany for a find or two, or six as it happened to be on this day.  We had a great day together, talking and laughing, and enjoying heat that Downeast Maine so rarely sees.  She's already asked me when our next day trip will be, and I already look forward to having her join me!

1 comment:

  1. although this is a little off subject, I learned something new about my daughter in law after reading this.... I didn't know you worked in Bar Harbor as a chamber maid!!!! love learning new things!!!!

    ReplyDelete